Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Week 61

October 6, 2009

Well I am staying here in Los Alamitos! I am really excited and surprised. We received a call Wednesday night telling us that Sister Lauchner would be training. I kept telling myself that I was the one leaving because it would make it easier. I didn't want to leave but I knew it was a high possibility. When we received transfer calls I was shocked when the elders told me I was staying. Sister Lauchner is headed to Cypress and is opening two wards to sisters. She will do great. She has experience in opening a new area. I was secretly hoping that I would be going back to Long Beach where I started. Sister Haycock is training again so I am now companions with her greenie, "my grandbaby". It will be fun. We actually went to school together and graduated the same year. Small world in the church. It will be fun. This will be her second transfer. One of the Elders in my first district is now my zone leader. We haven't served in the same area since last year. I am super excited! He is a good elder. We were both greenies together. So Sister Lauchner is super sad to leave because this is her greenie area and it is all she knows. We have a family that is getting ready to be baptized in 2 weeks! They have been meeting with the missionaries for like 6 years! It would have been hard for either one of us to leave. The mom and 2 of the girls that are being baptized wrote a letter to President asking him to give permission for sister Lauchner to come. They gave them to him on Sunday at general conference. I forgot that they live in our stake and that they would be at the stake center to watch conference. It was fun to be there with them. They are so good! So we were talking to Sara and teaching her and had planned to set a date for her to be baptized in November. We didn't want to rush her. It is always good to set it when they feel they will be ready. Then essentially they are making the choice and not us. Less pushy. So at first she was like I don't think that I could do that and then out of the blue she asked how long it was until the other girls were being baptized. We told her it was 2 weeks and she asked if she could be ready by then. We told her that she could be if she wanted and she said lets do that. We were taken back. So crazy! So now all 3 of them will be baptized in 2 Saturdays! Their parents told us Sunday that they want to be baptized as well. They have some bigger obstacles to overcome but I have complete faith that it will happen. The spirit was amazing on Sunday. They talked about having a get together in Utah for a family sealing. WE WERE SO EXCITED!!! I just love this family so much. I know that we were called here to help them see that they can be members of the church. The mom's twin sister is a member and they are coming down for the event. It is all very exciting. There wasn't a dry eye in the house. We were all touched by the spirit and I know without a shadow of a doubt that this is God's work. Everytime that I leave their house I am just in awe that I am so priveleged to be a part of this family and their conversion. So other than this big change the highlight of the the week was conference. It was so amazing! I have been praying and praying to have some questions answered and how I can finish my mission strong. I was overwhelmed at how each talk answered my questions in one way or another over and over again. I learned so much! If we prepare ourselves we will be uplifted and edified. The speakers all did a wonderful job. Elder Holland was very powerful. I was so moved that I couldn't take notes. He had my complete attention. I was hoping that our investigators wouldn't be scared by his intensity. One of my favorite talks about the ulimate operation. Our spiritual conversion is much like a heart transplant. If we don't care for our spirit it will be rejected and it will bring us farther from God. I loved President Monson and his desire for us to do service. We went over to our recent converts house yesterday to say goodbye and she had a jar of "Warm Fuzzies". I asked her if that was what it was and she told me yes and that she planned to use it with her 4 year old twins to help them do nice things for each other. It was amazing. It is so great to see your converts following the prophet and making changes in their lives. We get great parenting counsel. It will be interesting to see how this transfer plays out. I hope that I know enough. It is always a little intimidating to take over an area in such a short time. You always worry that you are going to forget someone. I know that Heavenly Father won't let me mess up but it will take effort on my part. Yesterday we were running around all over to say goodbye to people. Everyone is sad that Sister Lauchner is leaving. I am too. We have had some good times. We didn't always agree but we all know that we are different people. I have learned a lot this transfer. God is always helping us to remember to be humble. We asked an old man when he was going to give up his beer and he just looked at us and took a second to think and then said ".....NOPE!" It was the funniest thing ever. Sister Fannin's daughter came for the weekend to help her mom. It was great to meet her. She doesn't live too far from SLC. She actually flew home today with all of the departing missionaries. Life is good! I love my mission and I love being able to serve here in Los Alamitos. Sidenote, there is a sister serving in the Philipines from this ward. She just arrived there and this week she has seen 2 pythons and found a rat in her kitchen! Her mom says that in some areas she walks in chest high water because of the flooding. She is wearing mostly her service clothes and helping people who have lost their homes. Mom are you glad that I am in America? I love you all so much and hope that you have a great week! Thanks for all of your love and support! Love Sister Mickelsen

No comments: