Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Week 19

** I apologize again for not keeping this more up to date. I have been going a little crazy! Hopefully with school out for the semester I can get back into the swing of things. Steph's new address is the post below.



Hello! Well this week has definitely been an interesting and exciting week! On Wednesday we had a very busy day! We started during language study time to fit it all in. We taught Maritza about the Restoration and then left to teach Rosa. We left Rosa's house and met up with Sister Kavea and taught Marcos. We only had a few minutes with Marcos but we taught him about prayer and it went very well. He wanted more scriptures in the book of mormon so we taught how to use the index and the footnotes. We then went home for a what we thought we would be a quick bathroom break before our next appointment at 1. We had 3 messages on the phone. 1 was from president Sexton and the other was from Elder Ward, an AP. They both wanted us to call them back when we got the message. So we call him and put the phone on speaker. We were both wondering what was going on. It was about 1 o'clock and this is what Elder Ward says. We need to make an emergency transfer with sisters Hoover and Haltli. Sister Mickelsen will be leaving and Sister Haltli will be coming. We are hoping to have the transfer done in about 45 minutes. Both of us were in shock and didn't know what to say. We knew that transfers were coming but they don't happen until next Tuesday. So I called some members and let them know, I also called Elders Salmon and Anderson to let them know that I would be leaving. We were going to the Kavea's for dinner that night and I was really sad to leave them. We got me all packed up and waited for the other sisters to come and make the switch. I didn't really have time to think or cry but all is well. We live a member here as well. The Chase's are great. We have a bedroom and a bathroom. It's kind of weird to live with a family but it is nice. They take good care of us. I haven't seen them too much yet but they have 2 daughters living at home and have a bunch of family coming home for Christmas. It will be fun to be surrounded a family for Christmas. We went straight to work after unpacking a little. We met the ward mission leader and his family and met with some recent converts. The Bautista family is great. They were very sad that Sister Haltli left but were excited that I was there. Sister Hoover had to do a lot of explaining but all is well. Thay are very helpful and understanding with my spanish. They are helping me a lot. When I can't understand them I just tell them. Before I would never do that. They make me talk to them and if sister hoover jumps in to help they stop and make me do it. Needless to say I am already feeling more confident. I don't know what it is but for some reason I'm not as scared. Sister Hoover had me call Osualdo the other day and I did it without question. When Sister Colwell would ask me I would freak out. I did it one time with her and it was horrible so from then on she didn't make me do it. I have a feeling that this will be good be for me. We had dinner with Bishop on Thursday night. We have a lot more dinner appointments here and there is almost always a member with us when we teach lessons. It is insane! The ward truly has a missionary vision. It is much different than the last ward. Sister Colwell told me that they were hoping that I would play the piano on Sunday but obviously I couldn't. Most people found out that I wasn't there on Sunday. Friday Hermana Hoover started to get sick but she just kept going. When we got home she had a fever. We called sister Sexton in the morning and waited for the doctor to call. He told us that we couldn't work so we stayed home all day. Sunday we got up and ready for the day and then Sister Sexton called and asked how we were. I had woken up with a sore throat but nothing major. She told us to pray and decide whether or not we should go to church but that she was also going to call president and see what he said. We got a call about 2 minutes later that said we couldn't go to church because sister Hoover had a fever. So we stayed in all day again. We were sad to miss the Christmas devotional. I got sicker as the day went on. I had intentions of working yesterday but appartently when the alarm went off I said I'm staying here. I had no memory of saying that. Sister Hoover said that all night I was coughing and tossing and turning. No wonder I was so tired. I got up and got ready and did personal and companion study but couldn't stay awake for language. Sister Sexton called and said that I could rest as long as I needed. I slept til about 3. We went to Walmart and picked up another perscription for sister hoover and then went to work. We had dinner with a family and then taught their dental hygenist. It went really well. Their son just returned from his mission in Chile not to long ago, about a month or so. It was really great. We then went and had FHE with the Bautistas. I taught the lesson about the atonement. I felt like they needed to know that it was more than just for repentance. I think a lot of people don't realize that. The atonement of Jesus Christ is the only way we can have peace in this life. Through him we find the strength to move forward. Before my mission I didn't understand the importance of the atonement. Now I know that whenever I need someone to talk to I can turn to him and he will know exactly what I need to feel better. The atonement is truly amazing. Just a little note about sister hoover. She is from Maryland, a BYU education graduate. She teaches 2nd grade in Maryland and goes home in march. She is great person and was actually sister colwell's companion in the MTC. This week has been crazy but it wasn't as hard to change as I thought. I miss the investigators but I have met some new ones here and the work is just as important here. I love you all and hope you will have a great week!

No comments: