Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Week 17

I'm all caught up! Hopefully I won't get this behind again......


Hello family! I was so excited to hear that little Brooklyn is here safe and sound. I have been praying all week that she would come. I wish I could be there but I know that I am doing as I should and being on a mission is where I need to be. I am glad that you received the picture from Sister Sorensen. They have a son on a mission and they know what the parents back home will enjoy. They are a wonderful family and frequently feed us. This week has been a great one. I completely spaced the BYU game until Saturday and then I didn't think again about it until I heard that the Cougs lost. I was hoping that little Brooklyn would come so I wouldn't have to read all about the Utes winning. :) GO COUGARS!! I will still cheer no matter what happens. Anyway, this week has been great. We have worked hard have some great potentials. We started visiting part member or less active families everyday. One day last week they weren't home so we decided to knock the surrounding homes to see if there was a different reason that we were supposed to be in the area. On the last door that we knocked we talked to a boy about 15 years old named Javier and set an appointment to return on Sunday. We went by on Sunday and talked with his dad Javier, first. He told us that his son had been going through some depression ever since he and his wife divorced in February. He had gotten sick last week and they took him to the hospital and found an ulcer. He went in for surgery and his father told us that he just prayed and prayed for him to be ok. When he had gotten home Saturday night he saw the pamphlet that we had left with his son and asked him where he had gotten it. He told him that some ladies dropped it off and that we were coming by on Sunday. His father told him that this was proof that God knew he was and that He loved him. He brought out some chairs so that we could teach his son about God. Of course we didn't hesitate. The lesson went well and he was very attentive and answered our questions. He is very bright. We left him with the Book of Mormon and we are returning to teach him tonight. I am very excited. I have a strong hope that this family is an answer to our prayers just as we are the answer to a fathers prayer for his son. I know that the Lord guides us if we are faithful and work hard. Also last night we were going to an appointment and as we were walking this guy out of no where asks us who we are and what we are doing. I instantly feel nervous because it is dark and it was unexpected. We said we were missionaries and he was excited and said teach me something. We said ok. We taught him an abbreviated first lesson and he was very interested. Everything we said about his questions made sense and he was amazed. It was so great. I had seen him earlier in the day watching us in a house across the street that was vacant. It creeped me out a little and it made me nervous. I was grateful he had said something so that we could teach him. In Preach My Gospel it talks about not being in a hurry to get places and miss opportunities that are waiting along the way. We were on our way to an appointment and had no intentions of stopping but we needed to talk to him so the Lord provided a way. I am so grateful for his help and helping see the opportunities. We are going by to visit him again tomorrow. He is a very interesting guy but he has a strong faith in the Bible and wanting to live out of the world. We have some great potentials to be baptized we just need to get them to church and progressing. I think if we can get them to church we can get them baptized. Omar and Marcela have some great fellowship they just haven't made it to church yet. We are praying hard that they can make it. Oh I almost forgot. We had jsut finished studying on Saturday and our phone rings. I answer because it is on my desk and it is President Sexton. I was a little nervous. The president doesn't just make phone calls to everyone. That's what his assistants and zone and district leaders are for. He was calling to invite Sister Colwell and I to Thanksgiving dinner at their home! I am so excited to go and eat at their home. It is such a privilege and I don't know how we made it out 100 missionaries but I am not complaining. I love being in his presence. He is truly inspired and has a strong testimony of the restored gospel. I will be sure to tell you all about next week! Also there is a family in our ward that went to Puerto Rico to pick up their nephew from his mission. The Archuletta's picked them up at the gas station and then they were at testimony meeting at the Dewsnup's. She told me before that they were going and I told them to say hello for me and she did but she couldn't remember my name. I am hoping to get their address so I can write them. It is truly a small world. This week I want to bear you my testimony. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ is true! It is truly the only true church on the earth today. I am so grateful for the prophet Joseph Smith. He made a great sacrifice so that we could have the blessing of the gospel in our lives today. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that it can give us strength and power that we don't even know that we need. I am amazed by how much I learn everyday. As I teach and testify daily I feel in my heart the truthfulness of the words. I am so grateful to know that we have loving father in heaven who loves and knows each and every one of us. I know with all my heart that I have a Father in Heaven who is very aware of what is going on in my life right. I know He lives and that He is always there. I know that the Savior Jesus Christ atoned for our sins. I know that He suffered everything so that I can live in peace in joy and return to live with my family with our father in Heaven. I know that because Jesus Christ loves us so much that we can be happy and live with our families forever. I love all of you and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I know that this Thanksgiving I am grateful for the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. For a wonderful family who loves and supports me always. For this wonderful opportunity to be a full time missionary where I have the blessing of being apart from the world and just testifying and sharing the good news with everyone in Long Beach. May the Lord's choicest blessings be upon you this week as we remember all that we are grateful for and remember that all we have comes from a loving Father in Heaven. Welcome to the best family ever little Brooklyn! We are so happy that you are here!

No comments: