Monday, February 9, 2009

Week 26

Well it has been a wonderful week! A week of miracles for me and Sister Hoover. Tuesday night after our meetings with the ward mission leader and Bishop Johnson we were headed to the car. When we came out of the Bishop's office a lady stopped us and introduced to her 14 year old daughter who wanted to be baptized. We got their phone number from the Bishop and have been making preparations to teach her. We were so excited! Wednesday we had a good day. We went to the Bautista's to teach them English. It was fun. Cleo wanted help knowing how to say things to help her find a job. She is a seamstress and I don't know how to translate those words very well. I gave her a couple of phrases to use. She is so funny. It is interesting to watch people learn English because I am looking in a mirror. I see how I struggled and definitely have more patience than I used to. Thursday we had an amazing district meeting! Elder Sheets is
our new district leader. He is so great! We talked about planning and how we can make it more effective to help us in our work. Making sure that we have an Important activity planned for every hour of the day. After the meeting Elder Sheets told us that he felt inspired that everyone in our district should receive a priesthood blessing of comfort and counsel. I had wanted a priesthood blessing but I always get a little prideful. I don't want to be a needy sister missionary. He gave me and Sister Hoover blessings and it was truly amazing. It was a testimony to me that my Father in Heaven truly is aware of my needs and desires. Elder Sheets had no idea what I needed in my life right now but he was the instrument in which Heavenly Father used to comfort me and give me the strength that I need. It was really wonderful. An answer to my prayers. We had dinner with the Johnson's which is always a treat. You never know what kind of a mood the girls are going to be in. We had a family history activity and we helped Sister Johnson set up after dinner. She was grateful that we had offered. She didn't know what she was going to do. The only daughter that didn't have important obligations was Liz who is 8. Not the best age for quick help. It was fun. I love the Johnson family. Bishop claimed us as his daughters on Sunday. The High Priest Group Leader was taking out the lack of communication on us because we were present. Bishop told him to treat us nicely because we were his daughters. We love Bishop Johnson! Friday was a busy day. We had a lesson
with the Capps. I told him that if he wasn't at church on Sunday that I would be over after church asking him where he was. We went and visited Gretchen and found out that Monica was in the ER and that it was her second time that week. Her little baby Jaedyn who is teething has a cold, both ears are infected and an eye infection. His eyes had so much goop that when he would wake up his eyes would be caked shut. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen. We had them call their home teacher, President Chase to come over and give her a blessing. Evie brought us home golden spoon so we went to their house to pick it up. I met all of the Wheeler's. They are all so crazy and different. I just love that family. Their granddaughter was blessed on Sunday so everyone was in town. It made me a little sad to see what was happening at home but Heavenly Father kept me busy. Saturday we visited a referral with Andrew Wheeler. He was a perfect match for the guy. They live really close as well so it will be some great fellowship for us. We had dinner with the Bautista's. It was really good. It was Cesar's birthday but the family didn't do anything for him. It was sad. They are all mad at him. Sunday was a marvelous day! Saturday night Elder Sheets called and asked if we could pray as a district for the people we wanted at church. We had 3 out of the 5 show up. I have never had 3 investigators at church. Nick was one of them. He has been to church several times but we hadn't been given the green light to teach him yet. In ward council the young men's president told us that he had talked to his mom and she said that it was time. He is ready for the lessons. We are very excited! I think that will happen very quickly and we are going to involve the young men. When sacrament started he was the only one there. During the sacrament hymn, the Capps walked in and the Bautista's did with their cousin Aurora. It was truly a miracle. The Lord is opening the door. Noma wasn't able to make it but we taught her at Sister Wiseman's house after church. Sister Wiseman bore her testimony directly to brother and sister Capps. It was truly amazing. I think we are making a huge headway with Brother Capps. We had lunch with Sister Wiseman after church. It was my turn to give the thought. We talked about Alma 5:60. It talks about the Good Shepherd and how if we are in his fold he will protect us from the ravenous wolves who seek to destroy us. It is so true. The gospel of Jesus Christ will protect us more than we can imagine. Satan sends out some pretty nasty wolves to try and destroy everything good in our lives. Yesterday was amazing! We had zone conference. I just love zone conference! The spirit is always so amazing and leave very uplifted and edified. We talked a lot about making our studies and planning more effective to make every other aspect of the work the same. President taught us the plan of salvation and then we broke it down and talked about it. We made it to the Garden of Eden and the Fall and we talked for over an hour. He opened my mind to insight that I had never seen before. It was all there in the scriptures I had just never connected the dots that way. It was definitely some deep doctrine. I was blown away. We talked about the tree of life. He showed us how Jesus Christ is the tree of life and that Jesus Christ is the Love of God. It's pretty cool. Read the vision in 1 Nephi 8 and then read it in 11. It is truly amazing. I didn't cry in my interview like I usually do. I choked a little but there were no tears. He had us share something from our study journals. I love having gospel discussions with him. The Beach Ward fed us lunch. I just love the Beach ward. Andrew Wheeler came and I have never seen him so quiet. After zone conference we had Osvaldo follow us to the Wheeler's. He is going to live with them for a couple of weeks or so. He doesn't get any sleep at home when he gets off work. It was pretty entertaining. His English isn't very good but it will help to learn it quicker. He is excited to be there with them. They Wheeler's really are such a great family. We had 3 family home evenings last night. We had dinner with the Jenkins and then went to Monica and Gretchen's and then to the Bautista's. We talked about unity and then played Human knot. It was pretty easy because there were only 6 of us. Well I hope you all have a wonderful week! I can't believe that February is here. Where does the time go? Happy Birthday Clarissa Jane and Trent. I hope you have a wonderful day today! I love all of you and pray for you always! H. Mickelsen

No comments: